General Garage Door Maintenance Tips
Garage Door Maintenance Should Be Routine Part of Homeowner Fall Chores
Many homeowners in Ajax, Whitby, and Durham Region are likely now in the process, or some might say the ritual, of doing their outdoor fall chores. The weather has certainly turned from the hot and humid days of summer to the cool/cold and dampness of the fall, and with standard time about to be reinstated, winter cannot be too far away.
So the time has come to cut the lawn one last time, store the patio furniture, locate the snow shovels and winter boots, and – to inspect the garage door. That’s right, ensuring that the garage door is in proper working order before the truly cold and nasty weather arrives should be a regular part of the fall chores for a homeowner. Although the garage door is expected to work unfailingly at all times, a commitment to routine inspection and maintenance will help ensure that it performs at desired levels, particularly in the winter when it could be needed the most.
While this may at first seem like a time-consuming process among other time-consuming fall chores, garage door inspection and maintenance can be performed rather efficiently and the time invested in these activities can help save or eliminate inconvenience, risk of injury, and unnecessary garage door repair bills during the upcoming winter. Performing a garage door inspection and any requisite maintenance consists of several basic steps:
- Tightening all hardware if or as required
- Lubricating all rollers, hinges, and latches
- Examining rollers for cracks/signs of wear
- Inspecting the condition of weather stripping
- Assessing tracking for damage/misalignment
- Cleaning dust/dirt from tracks, springs, cables
- Listening for any unusual noise during operation
- Looking for dents, chips, rust, rot, in door/panels
Additionally, a parallel set of actions should be performed if a garage door opener is in place. Since the automatic opener is vital to the reliable operation of the garage door, it too should be assessed in terms of its condition and functional efficiency. Inspection and maintenance in this case would encompass:
- Lubricating the drive chain mechanism
- Tightening/re-securing all tracking/hardware
- Checking the travel limits for opening/closing the door
- Assessing door weight balance (disconnect opener first)
- Testing the photo eyes and auto-reverse safety feature
- Listening for any odd/unusual noises while it is in operation
While most if not all of the above steps can be done by homeowners with an inclination for do-it-yourself maintenance, there may be those who would prefer to have a garage door inspection and any general maintenance performed by a professional technician. In these instances, homeowners can rely on the expertise of Whitby Garage Doors.
Furthermore, such routine garage door maintenance may uncover a potential or existing issue that requires immediate attention before more serious and expensive complications arise. Subsequently, any repairs or replacement parts that may be needed can be done or installed respectively by the garage door professionals from Whitby Garage Doors.
Expert Garage Door Installation and Repair for Ajax and Whitby Homeowners
Along with providing their expertise in garage door inspections and general maintenance for Ajax, Whitby, and Durham area residents, the skilled technicians at Whitby Garage Doors can capably perform installations and/or repairs that include but are not limited to:
- New garage doors
- Broken springs and cables
- Damaged/bent tracks/rollers
- Automatic garage door openers
- Damaged/broken panels/windows
- Door balancing and/or misalignments
- Weather stripping and aluminum capping
- Replacement of cracked/broken windows
For all garage door installations, repairs, and general maintenance needs, call the skilled technicians from Whitby Garage Doors today at (905) 441-1512 to arrange a service visit at your earliest convenience.